Philip E. LeBoit, M.D.
- Phone: 415-353-7550
- Hope TA, Leboit PE, High WA, Fu Y, Brasch RC. Evaluation of imatinib mesylate as a possible treatment for nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in a rat model. Magn Reson Imaging. 2012 Aug 13. PMID: 22898683
- Dalton SR, Chandler WM, Abuzeid M, Hossler EW, Ferringer T, Elston DM, Leboit PE. Eosinophils in mycosis fungoides: an uncommon finding in the patch and plaque stages. Am J Dermatopathol. 2012 Aug;34(6):586-91. PMID: 22814317
- Leboit PE. What genomics has taught me about melanocytic neoplasms. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2012 Jun;147(3):239-49. PMID: 22648325
- Wang NJ, Sanborn Z, Arnett KL, Bayston LJ, Liao W, Proby CM, Leigh IM, Collisson EA, Gordon PB, Jakkula L, Pennypacker S, Zou Y, Sharma M, North JP, Vemula SS, Mauro TM, Neuhaus IM, Leboit PE, Hur JS, Park K, Huh N, Kwok PY, Arron ST, Massion PP, Bale AE, Haussler D, Cleaver JE, Gray JW, Spellman PT, South AP, Aster JC, Blacklow SC, Cho RJ. Loss-of-function mutations in Notch receptors in cutaneous and lung squamous cell carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Oct 25;108(43):
- Jalas JR, Vemula S, Bezrookove V, Leboit PE, Simko JP, Bastian BC. Metastatic melanoma with striking adenocarcinomatous differentiation illustrating phenotypic plasticity in melanoma.Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Sep;35(9):1413-8. PMID: 21836492
- Dalton SR, LeBoit PE. Squamous cell carcinoma with clear cells: How often is there evidence of tricholemmal differentiation? Am J Dermatopathol. 2008 Aug;30(4):333-9.
- Harvell JD, Bastian BC, LeBoit PE. Persistent (recurrent) Spitz nevi: a histopathologic, immunohistochemical and molecular pathologic study of 22 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 26(5): 654-661, 2002.
- Cowper SE, Su LD, Bhawan J, Robin HS, LeBoit PE. Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy. Am J Dermatopathol 23(5): 383-93, 2001.
- Bastian BC, Wesselmann U, Pinkel D, LeBoit PE. Molecular cytogenetic analysis of Spitz nevi shows clear differences to melanoma. J Invest Dermatol. 113:1065-9, 1999.
- Chu P, Connolly MK, LeBoit PE: The histopathologic spectrum of palisaded neutrophilic and granulomatous dermatitis in patients with collagen vascular diseases. Arch Dermatol 130:1278-1283, 1994.
- Koehler JE, Quinn FD, Berger TG, LeBoit PE, Tappero JW: Isolation of Rochilimaea species from cutaneous and osseous lesions of bacillary angiomatosis. N Engl J Med 327:1625-31, 1992.
- LeBoit PE, Berger T, Egbert BM, Yen TSB, Stoler M, Gonfiglio TA, Strauchen JA, English C, Wear D: Epithelioid haemangioma-like vascular proliferation in AIDS: Manifestation of cat scratch disease bacillus infection? Lancet i:960-3, 1988.
- LeBoit PE, Beckstead JH, Bond B, Epstein W, Frieden I, Parslow TG: Granulomatous slack skin: Clonal T-cell receptor beta-chain rearrangement in a cutaneous elastolytic disorder. J Invest Dermatol 89:183-186, 1987.
- Professor of Pathology and Dermatology
- Co-Director, UCSF Dermatopathology Service
After training in Anatomic Pathology at the University of California, San Francisco and in Dermatopathology at both New York University (under the late Bernard Ackerman, M.D.) and at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center (with N. Scott McNutt, M.D.),
I founded the UCSF Dermatopathology Service in 1987, with the goal of bringing academic expertise to a larger patient base than that of traditional university-based dermatopathology sections.
My investigative work includes the delineation of granulomatous slack skin as a lymphoma, the first comprehensive description of bacillary angiomatosis and bacillary peliosis hepatis, the development of the concept of palisaded neutrophilic and granulomatous dermatitis, the application of first morphometric and then molecular studies to melanocytic neoplasms and the initial description of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
I have written over 130 peer reviewed publications, over 25 book chapters, and co-edited the dermatology textbook, Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. Another major project for the World Health Organization was editing the WHO "blue book" Skin Tumors. Guido Massi and I authored the textbook, Histologic Diagnosis of Nevi and Melanoma. I have given over 300 invited lectures in North and South America, Europe and Asia.
I served as editor-in-chief of the American Journal of Dermatopathology from 1997-2006, and am currently an editor of Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery and an associate editor of the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. My service to the International Society of Dermatopathology includes membership on the executive committee and a term as Secretary-Treasurer. Currently, I am president of the Society. I have received the Ackerman Award from the International Society of Dermatopathology, and am the only person who has received both the Founders Award and the Pinkus Award from the American Society of Dermatopathology.